Re: Amendment: invariant-less in main (Re: GR Proposal: GFDL statement)

* Adeodato Simó <dato@net.com.org.es> [060112 15:09]:
>   (Or in other words: perhaps it's only me, okay, but I can't help, at
>   all, feel that ripping out of main documentation that their authors
>   intended to be free, and made their best-effort to achieve that, like
>   a form of betrayal.

It is a form of betrayal. And this betrayal is on out side. But the
betrayal is not that we exclude things out of main someone failed to
make free software (we make this with programs most of the time, too),
but the betrayal is that we did not inform them before so they could
avoid that pitfalls.
We (in the form of Debian) knew those problems since short after the GFDL
came first up, we did nothing to inform people early due to false hope to
get it solved in quiscence easier than confronting. We failed to take
the steps early due to our inability to release in a timely manner even
without removing/rewriting/relicesing things that slipped in. And in all
this time people were trapped into this, partially even with invariant
sections or even cover texts, causing real world problems for many.
But should we really try to bury that betrayal by betraying our users
and our priciples, letting stuff in that we promised not too. Hiding
problems our users (and we ourself) will be faced with in the future?

Hochachtungsvoll,
	Bernhard R. Link