Re: Proposal to delay the decition of the DPL of the withdrawal of the Package Policy Committee delegation

Anthony Towns writes ("Re: Proposal to delay the decition of the DPL of the withdrawal of the Package Policy Committee delegation"):
> The process is already unnecessary, Manoj can continue to maintain policy
> through his membership in the technical committee,

This is unfortunately not true.  We'd have to discuss and vote on
every change and I don't think we want to do that.  If it comes to
that we will probably delegate someone ourselves.

>  and the only reason he can't revert to the process that's was used
> since mid '98 until mid last year is that he's put his secretary hat
> on and read a new interpretation into the constitution that
> retroactively disallows that.

I agree that this situation is unfortunate.

> What has happened since is that the delegation has apparently been taken
> as a mandate for the policy editors to set policy according to their own
> opinion without any obligation to consult each other, or the developers
> as a whole. I'm not willing to have delegations exist in that way.

Perhaps it would be better if the policy maintainer were someone who
was more willing to listen and take on board comments ?

Ian.