Re: Proposal to delay the decition of the DPL of the withdrawal of the Package Policy Committee delegation

On Thu, Oct 26, 2006 at 09:25:58AM +0200, Frank K?ster wrote:
> I have not seen an explanation by the DPL why he withdrew the policy
> delegation.  But even if I had, I don't think it would change much.

You didn't see much explanation when the delegation was announced either;
nor any effect as a result of it -- Manoj continued editing policy, the
previous co-editors continued not contributing, and the new co-delegates
participated a little on the mailing list, then more or less vanished.

What has happened since is that the delegation has apparently been taken
as a mandate for the policy editors to set policy according to their own
opinion without any obligation to consult each other, or the developers
as a whole. I'm not willing to have delegations exist in that way.

> Anthony, I ask you as the DPL, please delay that decision yourself, thus
> making this "stupid" voting process unnecessary.

The process is already unnecessary, Manoj can continue to maintain policy
through his membership in the technical committee, and the only reason he
can't revert to the process that's was used since mid '98 until mid last
year is that he's put his secretary hat on and read a new interpretation
into the constitution that retroactively disallows that.

Cheers,
aj