Re: Question about GR-2006-004

On Sun, 8 Oct 2006 13:03:33 -0700 Don Armstrong wrote:

> On Sun, 08 Oct 2006, Francesco Poli wrote:
> > On Sat, 7 Oct 2006 23:04:21 -0700 Don Armstrong wrote:
> > > Thus, the proposal very carefully walks the line that the DFSG
> > > currently walks. Whether the DFSG should apply to all works (or
> > > just some work) is an open question, and one that I believe should
> > > be discussed at length.
> >
> > I'm not very happy that the GR reaffirms this interpretation of the
> > scope of DFSG#2. I think that maybe it would be much more useful if
> > the issue of sourceless non-programmatic works were kept out of
> > GR-2006-004 (that is to say, if the text of the GR didn't have item
> > B.).
>
> This part of the GR merely restates what is current practice,
[...]
> Sure; the DFSG is unfortunatly worded rather inelegantly in those
> cases. It was long intended to also amend the DFSG after 2004_003 to
> resolve these unfortunate ambiguities, but the outfall from that
> decision (and the subsequent retirement of the drafter) have basically
> shelved those changes. The GR as drafted is limited only to the
> interpretation of section 2 (ignoring point D, which is disparate) so
> any effect upon other sections is purely in the mind of the reader.

OK, but reaffirming the literal meaning of DFSG#2 now does not help a
future discussion where the DFSG will hopefully be changed to
unambiguously affect all works (both programmatic and non-programmatic).

That is to say, this GR seems to address two separate issues at once.
With the possible consequence of having people that would vote for the
text, as far as one issue is concerned, but against the same text for
the other issue...  :-(
Luckily IANADD, otherwise I would *not* know how to vote for this GR...

> > P.S.: Please go on Cc:ing me, as I am not a subscriber. Thanks.
>
> It would make my life easier if you would preserve the

OK, I'm trying to set it appropriately, but that makes unfortunately
*my* life harder, because the MUA I'm using (Sylpheed) does *not*
support the Mail-Followup-To: field and I have to set it *manually*...
:-(

--
But it is also tradition that times *must* and always
do change, my friend.   -- from _Coming to America_