Re: Question about GR-2006-004

On Sun, 08 Oct 2006, Francesco Poli wrote:
> it was my understanding that the present rules (clarified by the
> famous "Editorial amendments" GR-2004-003) imply that *all* works in
> main must comply with the DFSG (including #2).

This is correct.

> In other words, TTBOMK, *all* works distributed in the Debian system
> (i.e. in main), be they programmatic or non-programmatic, *must* be
> distributed with the form that the copyright holder or upstream
> developer would actually use for modification; and such forms need to be
> distributed in the orig.tar.gz.
> This GR seems to relax the rules for non-programmatic works.

Unfortunatly, it does not.

DFSG §2 says:

   "The program must include source code, and must allow distribution
    in source code as well as compiled form."

It does not say "The work must include source code".

Thus, the proposal very carefully walks the line that the DFSG
currently walks. Whether the DFSG should apply to all works (or just
some work) is an open question, and one that I believe should be
discussed at length.

Don Armstrong

--
An elephant: A mouse built to government specifications.
 -- Robert Heinlein _Time Enough For Love_ p244