Call for voting period to start on the firmware vote

On Thu, 5 Oct 2006 17:04:32 +1000, Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> said:

> I don't think it's worth further delaying this vote to include this
> position statement; as per [0] the minimum discussion period for
> Manoj's amendment as accepted by Frederik [1] ended 4th Oct 2006
> 19:53:58 UTC, which is about 11 hours ago; so we could get on with
> calling for a vote and have this over and done with in a little over
> a week if the proposers and seconders are willing.

> [0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2006/10/msg00005.html[1]
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2006/09/msg00567.html

        This is a call for votes to start on the firmware resolution:
 The proposed ballot is:
 [  ] Release Etch even with kernel firmware issues
 [  ] Special exception to DFSG #2 for firmware as long as required [3:1]
 [  ] Further discussion

        I'm attaching the proposed WML page for this vote (vote_007.wml).

        manoj

<define-tag pagetitle>General Resolution: Handling source-less firmware in the L
inux kernel</define-tag>
<define-tag status>D</define-tag>
# meanings of the <status> tag:
# P: proposed
# D: discussed
# V: voted on
# F: finished
# O: other (or just write anything else)

#use wml::debian::template title="<pagetitle>" BARETITLE="true" NOHEADER="true"
#use wml::debian::toc
#use wml::debian::votebar

    <h1><pagetitle></h1>
    <toc-display/>

# The Tags beginning with v are will become H3 headings and are defined in
# english/template/debian/votebar.wml
# all possible Tags:

# vdate, vtimeline, vnominations, vdebate, vplatforms,
# Proposers
#          vproposer,  vproposera, vproposerb, vproposerc, vproposerd,
#          vproposere, vproposerf
# Seconds
#          vseconds,   vsecondsa, vsecondsb, vsecondsc, vsecondsd, vsecondse,
#          vsecondsf,  vopposition
# vtext, vtextb, vtextc, vtextd, vtexte, vtextf
# vchoices
# vamendments, vamendmentproposer, vamendmentseconds, vamendmenttext
# vproceedings, vmajorityreq, vstatistics, vquorum, vmindiscuss,
# vballot, vforum, voutcome

    <vtimeline />
        <th>Proposal and amendment</th>
        <th>Discussion Period:</th>
        <th>Voting Period</th>

    <vproposer />
      [<a href="mailto:fs@debian.org";>fs@debian.org</a>]

    <vseconds />
    <ol>
      <li> Manoj Srivastava
        [<a href="mailto:srivasta@debian.org";>srivasta@debian.org</a>]
      </li>
      <li> Steve Langasek
        [<a href="mailto:vorlon@debian.org";>vorlon@debian.org</a>]
      </li>
      <li> Frank Küster
        [<a href="mailto:frank@debian.org";>frank@debian.org</a>]
      </li>
      <li> Bill Allombert
        [<a href="mailto:ballombe@debian.org";>ballombe@debian.org</a>]
      </li>
      <li> Bastian Blank
        [<a href="mailto:waldi@debian.org";>waldi@debian.org</a>]
      </li>
      <li> MJ Ray
        [<a href="mailto:mjr@debian.org";>mjr@debian.org</a>]
      </li>
      <li> Aníbal Monsalve Salazar
        [<a href="mailto:anibal@debian.org";>anibal@debian.org</a>]
      </li>
      <li> Daniel Ruoso
        [<a href="mailto:ruoso@debian.org";>ruoso@debian.org</a>]
      </li>
    </ol>
    <vtext />
      The actual text of the resolution is as follows. Please note
      that this does not include preludes, prologues, any preambles to
      the resolution, post-ambles to the resolution, abstracts,
      fore-words, after-words, rationales, supporting documents,
      opinion polls, arguments for and against, and any of the other
      important material you will find on the mailing list
      archives. Please read the debian-vote mailing list archives for
      details.
    <h2>Release Etch even with kernel firmware issues</h2>

    <ol>
       <li>
              We affirm that our Priorities are our users and the free
              software community (Social Contract #4);
       </li>
       <li>
             We acknowledge that there is a lot of progress in the
             kernel firmware issue; however, it is not yet finally
             sorted out;
       </li>
       <li>
            We assure the community that there will be no regressions
            in the progress made for freedom in the kernel distributed
            by Debian relative to the Sarge release in Etch
       </li>
       <li>
            We give priority to the timely release of Etch over
            sorting every bit out; for this reason, we will treat
            removal of sourceless firmware as a best-effort process,
            and deliver firmware in udebs as long as it is necessary
            for installation (like all udebs), and firmware included
            in the kernel itself as part of Debian Etch, as long as we
            are legally allowed to do so, and the firmware is
            distributed upstream under a license that complies with
            the DFSG.
       </li>
    </ol>
    <vamendmentproposera />
      [<a href="mailto:joss@debian.org";>joss@debian.org</a>]

    <vamendmentsecondsa />
    <ol>
      <li> Pierre Habouzit
        [<a href="mailto:madcoder@debian.org";>madcoder@debian.org</a>]
      </li>
      <li> Julien BLACHE
        [<a href="mailto:jblache@debian.org";>jblache@debian.org</a>]
      </li>
      <li> Aurelien Jarno
        [<a href="mailto:aurel32@debian.org";>aurel32@debian.org</a>]
      </li>
      <li> Julien Danjou
        [<a href="mailto:acid@debian.org";>acid@debian.org</a>]
      </li>
      <li> Clément Stenac
        [<a href="mailto:zorglub@debian.org";>zorglub@debian.org</a>]
      </li>
    </ol>

    <vamendmenttextb />
      The actual text of the resolution is as follows.  Please note
      that this does not include preludes, prologues, any preambles to
      the resolution, post-ambles to the resolution, abstracts,
      fore-words, after-words, rationales, supporting documents,
      opinion polls, arguments for and against, and any of the other
      important material you will find on the mailing list
      archives. Please read the mailing list archives for details.
    <h2>Special exception to DFSG #2 for firmware as long as required</h2>
    <h3>THE DEBIAN PROJECT</h3>
    <ol>
       <li>
           reaffirms its dedication to providing a 100% free system to
           our users according to our Social Contract and the DFSG;
           and
       </li>
       <li>
           encourages authors of all works to make those works
           available not only under licenses that permit modification,
           but also in forms that make such modifications practical;
           and
       </li>
       <li>
           supports the decision of the Release Team to require works
           such as images, video, and fonts to be licensed in
           compliance with the DFSG without requiring source code for
           these works under DFSG #2; and
       </li>
       <li>
              determines that as a special exception to DFSG #2, the
              source code for device firmwares contained in the kernel
              packages will not be required as long as there are no
              other technical means to install and run the Debian
              system on these devices.
       </li>
    </ol>

    <vmindiscuss />
     As per <a href="http://lists.debian.org/debian-vote/2006/10/msg00024.html";>
     the request from the Debian Project Leader</a>, The voting and
     discussion periods are one week long.

    <vquorum />
        With the current list of <a href="vote_00?_quorum.log">voting
          developers</a>, we have:
    <pre>
#include 'vote_00?_quorum.txt'
    </pre>
#include 'vote_00?_quorum.inc'

    <vstatistics />
      For this GR, as always
      <a id="suppl_00?_stats">statistics</a>
      shall be gathered about ballots received and acknowledgements
      sent periodically during the voting period.  Additionally, the
      list of
      <a id="vote_00?_voters.txt">voters</a>
      would be made publicly available. Also, the
      <a id="vote_00?_tally.txt">tally sheet</a>
      may also be viewed after to voting is done (Note that
      while the vote is in progress it is a dummy tally sheet).

    <vmajorityreq />
      Amendment A (choice 2) requires a 3:1 majority, since it creates
      a special exception to a foundation document.
#include 'vote_00?_majority.inc'

    <voutcome />
#include 'vote_00?_results.inc'

    <hrline>
      <address>
      </address>

--
All language designers are arrogant.  Goes with the territory... :-)
Larry Wall in <1991Jul13.010945.19157@netlabs.com