Re: [AMENDMENT]: Release Etch now, with source-less but legal and freely licensed firmware

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 10:49:35AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 06:12:38PM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> > On Tue, Oct 03, 2006 at 07:20:35PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> > > Anthony, this is bullshit.
> > Sven, if the GPL prohibits us from distributing the code, we (which is
> > to say ftpmaster) won't distribute it. There's no way of phrasing a GR
> > to change that.
> Well, i agree with you to a point, but as everyone intent to distribute those
> sourceless GPLed firmwares even if they are non-distributable, i cannot accept
> the above claim.

It doesn't really matter what you can accept or not; we have a very
firm policy of not breaking the law by distributing copyrighted stuff
in violation of their license.

What we don't have is a policy of not distributing copyright stuff
because Sven Luther thinks the license is being violated.

I don't think it's worth further delaying this vote to include this
position statement; as per [0] the minimum discussion period for Manoj's
amendment as accepted by Frederik [1] ended 4th Oct 2006 19:53:58 UTC,
which is about 11 hours ago; so we could get on with calling for a vote
and have this over and done with in a little over a week if the proposers
and seconders are willing.

A position statement (and press release or similar) to get the ball
rolling on encouraging driver/firmware developers to make original source
code available under a DFSG license can happen at the same time, and be
done even sooner.

Cheers,
aj

[0] http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2006/10/msg00005.html