Re: [AMENDMENT]: Release Etch now, with source-less but legal and freely licensed firmware

Hi,

first of all, I wonder why so few people from the teams involved take
part in this discussion.  I assume one reason might be that they prefer
IRC.  However, debian-vote is the list that's supposed to hold the
important information for the vote, isn't it?

Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 10:08:40AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
>> Indeed, so we need to strip those GPLed firmwares ?
>
> I'm not going to repeat myself on that again.

No need to do that - I didn't read anything substantial from you yet.

>>   5. We further note that some of these firmware do not have proper license,
>
> Again, no, Debian is not distributing anything we're not confident we
> have a valid license to distribute. And no, "confident" doesn't mean
> "certain beyond all possible doubt" -- it means we make a good faith
> attempt to comply with the stated wishes of the rights holders.

The problem is that several people (also on -legal) have shown evidence
that some of the firmware under discussion never was intended to comply
with the GPL, for various reasons.  I don't feel well with just ignoring
this evidence.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster