Re: [AMENDMENT]: Release Etch now, with source-less but legal and freely licensed firmware

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 09:03:10PM -0700, Thomas Bushnell BSG wrote:
> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:
> > I believe that distributing firmware written in chunks of hex is in
> > compliance with the GPL, and repetition of your arguments isn't going
> > to change that belief.
> Do you really think that the GPL contains an exception for firmware
> blobs?  Or that the GPL doesn't mean what it says when it refers to
> all source?

I don't believe it says or means what is being claimed on its behalf, no.
As evidence, I'll simply cite everyone else with far more to lose and
far more legal resources that simply aren't worrying about this.

I'm not going to explain my reasoning from the text though, sorry. After
etch, when we're working on separating the stuff out properly and moving
the hex stuff to non-free I'll be more than happy to talk GPL legal
theory over beers, but in the meantime, I don't think the details are
important enough to spend time on.

Cheers,
aj