Re: [AMENDMENT]: Release Etch now, with source-less but legal and freely licensed firmware

On 9/29/06, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> wrote:
> Now, the RMs seem to have some notion, from the hurried discussion we had
> yesterday, that they seem to interpret your post as allowing to distribute
> sourceless GPLed firmware, because the GPL licence is DFSG free.

Er, yes, because that's what the resolution *says*.  It says that for
firmware in etch we're only going to worry about licenses, *not* source.

How can you say so?
It *also* says "as long as we are legally allowed to do so".

When speaking of GPL, if you are worrying about license and what is
legally allowed, then you are automatically also worrying about
source.

There is no way Debian is legally allowed to distribute sourceless
GPLed firmware.
Section 3 of GPLv2 makes it clear that it's just not possible.

I hope you are not yielding to the pressure to release an Etch which
would break copyright law, but unfortunately this seems to be the case
:(

--
Markus Laire
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANADD