Re: [AMENDMENT]: Release Etch now, with source-less but legal and freely licensed firmware

Hello,

On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 11:45:54AM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> fs, this is contrary to what we where trying to achieve, i would like to know
> why you seconded this.

What we want to archive, is release etch in time, being installable on
all hardware supported upstream. From the discussion about this
amendment, I understood this is being covered here, so I think this is a
good compromise.

Indeed this is a compromise, and everyone needs to make a step towards
the others: those of us concerned about usability and the needs of our
users will have to give up firmware blobs which are obviously not
distributable - even upstream before the release can happen, while those
of us concerned about the freeness of the software will have to give up
a bit of freeness in the linux-2.6 package for the sake of a release on
December, 4th.

The alternative is simple: We patch all drivers and fix d-i to include
udebs from non-free, and delay the release indefinitely until this is
done.

I obviously prefer the compromise, I am strictly against breaking 50+
drivers before having discussed every single one with the corresponding
vendor and upstream maintainer, seeking a global solution.

Best regards
Frederik Schueler

--
ENOSIG