Re: Splitting out Choice #1 from vote_004

On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 03:04:28PM +0200, Frank Küster wrote:
> Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> wrote:
>
> > So, we have now two choices :
> >
> [...]
> >   B) we do a single ballot :
> >
> >      [ ] non-free firmware belong in non-free (don)
> >      [ ] non-free firmware can be accepted in main (josselin) (needs 3:1)
> >      [ ] make an exception for etch (frederik)
> >      [ ] further discussion
>
> For me, this is orthogonal.  I want both 1 and 3 to be accepted, and 2
> to be rejected.  However, if I could only choose between 1 and 2, I'd
> would have to vote 2 over 1, since releasing etch is my priority.  Err,
> free software is my priority, too - I wouldn't have a proper choice
> except rating both below "further discussion".
>
> Furthermore, if the voting results in 3 beating both, we won't have a
> proper statement about the post-etch situation, because both the pro-1
> and the pro-2 group will still believe that in an isolated vote.
> Especially if 2 beats 1, but misses the 3:1 majority...

pro-1 is indeed just the status quo, this is also why i prefer the separate
vote.

> In summary, since these issues are orthogonal, I'd rather vote
> separately.

Now, the question is, on which do we vote first, or can we have two votes
together ?

Also, we could cross-product them :

  [ ] non-free belongs in non-free + exception for etch (don+fs)
  [ ] non-free belongs in non-free + delay etch (don only)
  [ ] make a longer-term exception for non-free firmware in main (josselin).

(since 3 is a superset of frederiks's proposal, doing josselin+fs is not
warranted).

This means a re-writing of the proposals, as well as new seconds and stuff
though.

Friendly,

Sven Luther