Re: Proposal: Recall the Project Leader

On Sat, Sep 23, 2006 at 12:02:26PM +0100, MJ Ray wrote:
> =?iso-8859-1?Q?Lo=EFc?= Minier <lool+debian@via.ecp.fr>
> >  So, did the Debian Project Leader take the decision to fund our RMs,
> >  for example with Debian's money?  Did he take the decision to
> >  officially request funding?     NO.
>
> How is the DPL empowered to take that decision when it is so obviously
> against some developers' opinions?

If the DPL can't take decisions that are against some developer's
opinion, then, frankly, the DPL cannot possibly make any decision, ever.
Fortunately, the DPL is empowered by the constitution to "Make any
decision for whom noone else has responsibility." (5.1.4).

> >  Instead, he did his best to take off his DPL hat, make a private
> >  initiative which is directed towards helping Debian, without the need
> >  of any DPL special power.
>
> Yes, instead of working as DPL to find a compromise, he yet again seeks
> to direct debian funding away from debian's control and its established
> partners.  Even IMO-reasonable suggestions, such as goal-based rather
> than time-based payments, seemed to be ignored.

Unfortunately, on this subject, which suggestions are considered
reasonable diverges hugely depending whom you ask. I agree consensus
would be preferred, but a compromise isn't always preferable, because
you would not easily arrive at some of the more interesting decisions
that a DPL with a mission could arrive at. I appload Anthony for
experimenting with various ways, some bolder than others, to improve
Debian and increase momentum. I realize some of those experiments will
fail, but I strongly believe we have enough checks and balances, and
as a project also resilience, for this DPL term to have a net
positive effect on Debian.

As Dutch saying goes, "if you never shoot, you'll always miss".

That said, though, I dare say our current DPL *is* seeking compromise,
and is not acting this bold. He could have simply decided to proceed
within Debian.

> If this DPL's best does not include revising his proposals or seeking
> compromise, then it's time for a new DPL.  This will get support for
> more than the Dunk Tank reason.

<20060826121810.GA4365@azure.humbug.org.au> in debian-private 2006-08
is IMHO a pretty decent attempt at listening carefully to comments
raised, and consequently revising a proposal to seek compromise.

I'd say Anthony is trying.

--Jeroen

--
Jeroen van Wolffelaar