Re: Proposal: Recall the Project Leader

On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 04:09:34PM -0500, John Goerzen wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 10:59:53PM +0200, Denis Barbier wrote:
> >   Debian to decide.
> >
> > This vote is in my opinion the best way to answer this question.
>
> It does nothing of the kind.  You're saying that you're not even going
> to give him the chance.  You can't answer the question without making
> the attempt and observing the results.

Huh?  Observe the results of what?

> I would note that this does nothing to actually make him stop with his
> project.

Absolutely, this vote is not against the Dunc project, but the fact
that it is initiated by the Project Leader.  I believe that the Dunc
project has to be distinct from Debian to have a chance to succeed,
and this is also the position stated on their pages, see
         http://www.dunc-tank.org/background.html

  It does, however, mean that questions of control and conflicts
  of interest are considered very carefully by the project, and
  after an in-depth discussion on the developer-only mailing
  list, debian-private, it was decided to run this project
  outside Debian proper, to ensure that any potential conflicts
  of interest that might develop can be safely quarantined from
  Debian itself.

Again, the question is: is this organisation sufficiently "outside"
of Debian when the DPL is intimately involved.  In my opinion, the
answer is obviously no, meaning that this quarantine will not work
and as a result may badly harm the project.  By recalling the
Project Leader, we ensure that there is no confusion between both
projects, give the Dunc project a better chance of success, and
preserve Debian in case of failure.

Denis