Re: Proposal - Defer discussion about SC and firmware until after the Etch release

On Tuesday 12 September 2006 07:38, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 20:39:35 -0700, Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org>
said:
> > On Tue, Sep 12, 2006 at 01:47:18AM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> >> (c) Following the release of etch, the Debian Project Leader shall:
> >> i.  ensure that the Debian community has a good understanding
> >> of the technical and legal issues that prevent the Debian Free
> >> Software Guidelines from being applied to logos and firmware in a
> >> manner that meets the needs of our users; ii.  ensure that project
> >> resources are made available to people working on addressing those
> >> issues;
> >> iii. keep the Debian community updated on progress achieved in
> >> these areas.
>
>         I am not sure that we can resovle what a future (and as yet
>  unknown project leader shall do; people can only state that they plan
>  on doing this work, or instituting a general resolution, or
>  something, in any case, it does not belong in the ballot, but perhaps
>  in an accompanying rationale/statement of intent.

I feel the DPL is one of the few roles where you can do that:
- the current DPL has already indicated that he is willing to take the
  responsibility;
- a future DPL could, if he's not willing to take on the task him/herself,
  delegate it.
The option of delegation makes it possible to put the responsibility with
the post while allowing the actual work to be done by another person.

> >> This shall include both an online consultation with Debian
> >> developers, users, Debian derivatives and the free software
> >> community, and a public in-person discussion at DebConf 7 in
> >> Edinburgh in honour of the 10th anniversary of the original
> >> publication of the Social Contract on the 4th of July 1997.
>
>        Also, how are you planning on having all 1001 developers at
>  Edinburgh?  Or is this restricted to the fraction of developers who can
>  afford to make it to Scotland?

That is not what it says. It says there will be a consultation with the
whole community using classic means (mail, website, ...). This is where the
main focus will be.
And besides that there will be a discussion at Debconf 7 for those who can
be there. The fact that the results of that discussion are summarized and
made public as part of the larger consultation is implied.

IMO Debconf, as the official annual Debian conference, is an event that is
by its definition suitable for such discussions, irrespective of who can
and cannot (afford) to be there.