Re: Questions to the candidates

On Wed, Mar 08, 2006 at 08:16:34AM +0100, Martin Schulze wrote:
> 4. In light of the well organised presence of Skolelinux and the
>    professional presence of Ubuntu at several conferences and exhibitions
>    do you believe Debian is represented adequately?

I know it is a biaised view point, but as far as the events I attended
were concerned, Debian was better represented than Ubuntu and
Skolelinux.

> 5. Do you see any services for our users or developers missing or
>    poorly maintained?  If so, which and what do you plan to do to
>    fix this?

There are some service we regularly use but which are not "official",
because they are hosted on DD personal pages, on non Debian machine
or even provided by non-Debian developers.

I think we should try to make them more official.

One external service that is regularly used is
<http://bjorn.haxx.se/debian/testing.pl>

A lot of services are run off DD web page on gluck. While this is a good
thing, they tend all to need the content of the Packages files. I wonder
if providing acces to a SQL database giving access to the Packages
contents would reduce the duplication of work and the load on gluck.

> 6. What is your opinion about the current situation with the backports
>    and volatile archives?  Currently they don't run on projects assets.

As I understand, backports.org has been relatively recently restructured
to use the DAK archive suit. This is a good move toward integration in
Debian proper.

I expect both volatile and backports will be mature enought to be
integrated to Debian by the time Etch release. The exact policy
and 'term of service' for backports should be worked on.

> 7. What is your opinion about the current situation with the snapshot
>    archive?  Currently it doesn't run on projects assets.

This is certainly a very important service. In a lot of case it is the
easiest (and sometimes the only) way to roll back. It also has suffered
from support problem. We should definitively integrate it in Debian
if we have the resources to do so.

Bill. <ballombe@debian.org>

Imagine a large red swirl here.