Re: Candidate questions: expulsions process

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 10:36:42AM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
>The process to expel a developer is described in
>http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2005/08/msg00005.html
>I am not sure whether all expulsion attempts get far enough
>to be recorded on -private or -project as described in
>the process, but DDs can check for traffic on those lists
>involving DPL candidates.  Personally, I find the reasoning
>of delegates slightly more hopeful than a majority vote,
>but the vagueness of it is still unsettling.
>
>1. The process "is intended as a last resort" - what steps would
>   you take before initiating or supporting it yourself?

I would need to convince myself of two things:

 * that the project as a whole would be clearly better off without
   that developer, due to their behaviour

 * that the developer was fully aware of the behaviour in question and
   had no intention of changing that behaviour

>2. Do you believe it would be fair to cite someone's non-technical
>   socio-religious views in the reasoning for or against expulsion?

In my opinion, the expulsion process should depend entirely on
_behaviour_ rather than "non-technical socio-religious views". We are
clearly not in the business of controlling the personal opinions of
developers. Only in extreme cases of damaging _behaviour_ should we
even consider expulsion.

>3. Do you think the process should be modified and, if so, how?

I'm personally satisfied with the process as it stands; I don't see
any major flaws. Would you modify it yourself?

  Mature Sporty Personal
  More Innovation More Adult
  A Man in Dandism
  Powered Midship Specialty