Re: Question for all candidates: handle debian-admin more openly

Sven Luther wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 09, 2006 at 07:31:49AM +0100, Martin Schulze wrote:
> > Bill Allombert wrote:
> > > Example of non-priviledged services include secondary web services and
> > > developers accessible port machines with separate accounts.  As an
> > > aside, I think there should be more developers-accessible port machines.
> >
> > Why?
> >
> > For which ports?
>
> The three quad-power5 machines that IBM donated to debian for powerpc64 work,
> and nobody knew about, and are now sitting in augsbourg  (1 used by the
> augsbourg university, and two maintained by Bastian Blank, who distribute
> accounts on it).

Are bruckner and voltaire overloaded or do they lack services the developers
need?

Another question would be if the Debian project should accept every
arbitrary donation and increase their machine pool even when there
is no use the machine?

> It was my believe that at least one of them should be maintained under the
> umbrella of the DSA team, in order to have it thrusted to be used to upload
> packages, but the DSA team refused to have anything to do with them, which i
> suppose is understandable since they have no time for it. I proposed to handle
> it for them though, or have Bastian do so, and was equally refused.

I've once told you that currently (one year ago or so) there is no
use for them, since a) voltaire works fine as buildd and bruckner
works fine as developer machine.

> This is no blame, or something, i can clearly understand your
> frustration and that i may not have asked at the right time or something, just
> the machines are mostly underused, which is a shame, they are fast, have good
> memory, disks and bandwidth, and even the licences for the virtual partitions
> allowing to create sub machines for different usages.

Well, they haven't been negotiated with leader, hardware-donations, ports
or debian-admin prior to the donation.  What do you expect?  When I donate
you a pencil while you're perfectly fine with your old pencil and the new
one doesn't provide anything better, you won't use it either.

Regards,

	Joey

--
MIME - broken solution for a broken design.  -- Ralf Baechle