Re: Question for all candidates: handle debian-admin more openly

On Tue, Mar 07, 2006 at 10:56:57PM +0100, Martin Zobel-Helas wrote:
> Now my question:
>
> 1.) Do you think it would be a good idea to handle debian-admin more
>     openly?
>
> 2.) Would you encourage debian-admin to do so? If yes, how?
>
> 3.) Do you think more DSA are needed?

I would like to experiment with "DSA assistants". The idea is that some
Debian machines could not need special priviledge to operate and are not
critical to operation, so they could be operated by "DSA assistants"
which would have much less priviledges. This could reduce the work on
the DSA and allow Debian to operate more machines, and "DSA assistants"
could eventually became full DSA once they gather the trust of the DSA
team. This could also increase transparency as a side effect.

Alioth is a debian.org machine with a separate set of admin, so there is
a precedent.

Example of non-priviledged services include secondary web services and
developers accessible port machines with separate accounts.  As an
aside, I think there should be more developers-accessible port machines.

Some such services are operated on non-Debian hosts already, but I think
we should try to integrate some of them to give more visibility both to
the service and the Debian developers in charge of them.

Cheers,
Bill.