Re: Questions to all DPL candidates

Matthias Urlichs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Angus Lees:
> > Erm, no.  Many "metric compatible" fonts aren't exactly that way.
> > See http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/technotes/tfmetrics.pdf for an
> > interesting comparison of Palatino.
>
> With well-written documents, the worst problem probably is that you get
> a font that's a bit wider and overruns a tabstop

Or adds/removes linebreaks and pagebreaks, overflows table fields,
moves pictures to different pages while they should be on the same,
puts split up words back in one line without recombining them properly,
and so on.

> -- that looks bad, but
> hardly constitutes breakage. In fact I consider that to be a design
> error in the word processing program: it should indent the next column a
> bit, instead of shifting everything to the next tabstop.

We apparently apply very different standards of quality when it comes
to typography.

Thiemo