Re: Questions to all DPL candidates

Hi,

Angus Lees:
> Erm, no.  Many "metric compatible" fonts aren't exactly that way.
> See http://www.pragma-ade.com/general/technotes/tfmetrics.pdf for an
> interesting comparison of Palatino.

With well-written documents, the worst problem probably is that you get
a font that's a bit wider and overruns a tabstop -- that looks bad, but
hardly constitutes breakage. In fact I consider that to be a design
error in the word processing program: it should indent the next column a
bit, instead of shifting everything to the next tabstop.

What I had in mind is people who insert a line break by hitting Space
until they get to the next line (instead of Shift-Return), or who
"design" forms by entering exactly 34 periods so that stuff lines up
correctly, or a heap of other stuff amply described in ancient books
such as "The Mac is not a Typewriter" (I think that was the first one).

I admit that this is a much larger problem with PDFs and similar
non-source formats. :-/

--
Matthias Urlichs   |   {M:U} IT Design @ m-u-it.de   |  smurf@smurf.noris.de