On Tue, 2004-07-13 at 22:07, Florian Weimer wrote:
> * James Troup:
>
> > If anyone thinks that trying to decide technical issues through voting
> > is a good idea, I pity them.

Surely it is not so much a technical issue as a policy issue? Since
different opinions are being expressed, then in a democracy it would
seem valid to decide it by voting.

> In my eyes, voting on technical issues is still better than no
> explicit decision at all.  Both options are horrible, but explicit
> decisions are still better than implicit ones, no matter how they are
> made.
>
> I suppose most the proposers feel the same.  Why they resort to such a
> desperate means is something to think about, IMHO.

I agree. Calling for a vote escalates the decision, making it clear to
the community at large that a decision needs to be faced, and that there
are various concerns to be balanced -- the needs of amd64 users,
judgments (quite plausible ones, IMO) about the future spread of the
arch, but on the other hand, the desire to release sarge a.s.a.p.

I can understand that these questions are controversial. I don't quite
understand why the suggestion to vote on it is controversial.