Andres Salomon <dilinger@voxel.net> writes:

> On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 14:43:59 +0200, Josselin Mouette wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> hereby resolves:
>>
>> 1. that the next Debian GNU/Linux release, codenamed "sarge", will
>>    include the "amd64" architecture, based on the work currently hosted at
>>    http://debian-amd64.alioth.debian.org/ ;
>

> Could we please not hold the sarge release up any more than we have to?
> I'm fine w/ forcing inclusion of amd64 into sid (#3), but adding yet
> another requirement for sarge seems like a horrible idea.  We have no idea
> how many problems this will cause for sarge.

How about including it in sid while keeping it an option for sarge. If
problems show up that would delay sarge or make amd64 not stable it
could still be omited or released as a point release after the rest.

>From what I see amd64 is nearer to a sarge release then several other
archs except that a very few common packages are still buggy (namely
some of the webbrowsers). But thats is surely nothing holding sarge
back in general.

Amd64 has the second most number of packages compiled successfully and
percentage wise it runs head to head with powerpc and similary
complete archs. The inaccuracy in the % is bigger than the difference
between them. So amd64 won't be a doorstopper for sarge. Only thing
that could slow down sarge would be new bugs getting discovered as the
userbase for amd64 grows.

But we will never know unless amd64 is added to sid first.

MfG
        Goswin