Re: Proposal - Statement that Sarge will follow Woody requirement for main.

* Debian Project Secretary (secretary@debian.org) [040523 23:55]:
> On Sat, 22 May 2004 01:41:13 +0200, Bill Allombert
> <allomber@math.u-bordeaux.fr> said:
> > 4. The Developers by way of General Resolution or election
>
> >   4.1. Powers
>
> >    Together, the Developers may:
> >     5. Issue nontechnical policy documents and statements.  These
> >        include documents describing the goals of the project, its
> >        relationship with other free software entities, and
> >        nontechnical policies such as the free software licence terms
> >        that Debian software must meet.  They may also include
> >        position statements about issues of the day.
>
> >            ---------------------
>
> > We, Debian developers, issue the statement:
>
> > "On the question on what software should be allowed in the main
> > section of our archive (The official Debian distribution) for our
> > forthcoming release code-named Sarge, we resolve that we will apply
> > the same criterion as for our preceding release, code-named Woody."
>
> >            ---------------------
>

> > I suppose it fits as "a nontechnical policies such as the free
> > software licence terms that Debian software must meet.". It would
> > require a simple majority to pass, then.

> 	I do not think we can over ride the constitution, and other
>  foundation documents, with a simple position statement; so I would
>  not think a simple position statement can trump the SC.

I think we can override it with a position statement that has the same
requirements as a change of the fundation document, i.e. this position
statement would require a 3:1-majority.

Cheers,
Andi
--