Re: Proposal - Statement that Sarge will follow Woody requirement for main.

On Sat, 22 May 2004 01:41:13 +0200, Bill Allombert
<allomber@math.u-bordeaux.fr> said:

>           ----------------------

> 4. The Developers by way of General Resolution or election

>   4.1. Powers

>    Together, the Developers may:
>     5. Issue nontechnical policy documents and statements.  These
>        include documents describing the goals of the project, its
>        relationship with other free software entities, and
>        nontechnical policies such as the free software licence terms
>        that Debian software must meet.  They may also include
>        position statements about issues of the day.

>            ---------------------

> We, Debian developers, issue the statement:

> "On the question on what software should be allowed in the main
> section of our archive (The official Debian distribution) for our
> forthcoming release code-named Sarge, we resolve that we will apply
> the same criterion as for our preceding release, code-named Woody."

>            ---------------------

> I suppose it fits as "a nontechnical policies such as the free
> software licence terms that Debian software must meet.". It would
> require a simple majority to pass, then.

	I do not think we can over ride the constitution, and other
 foundation documents, with a simple position statement; so I would
 not think a simple position statement can trump the SC.

	Secondly, speaking only as a developer, what criteria? We
 won't release sarge until the boot floppy package is ready? Should
 this not be spelled out?

	manoj
--
Debian Project Secretary <secretary@debian.org>  <http://www.debian.org/>