Re: Ready to vote on 2004-003?

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 05:39:14PM +0100, Henning Makholm wrote:
> > Seriously. It's not that hard. If I can do it, so can you.
> Not true. You have privileged access to insider information that
> nobody else has, and you are asking everybody else to act in *absence*
> of that insider information.

Really? What insider information is that?

My upstairs neighbours haven't told you their opinion. Do you need that
"insider information" to make a judgement on this issue? Presumably not.

Why then do you need mine? What differences do you imagine there are
between me and my upstairs neighbours?

The one you seem to be claiming exists is that my opinion will have any
more influence on the outcome here than theirs. But I've already told
you (repeatedly!) it won't: this decision has been delegated to the tech
ctte, and it won't be made by me under any circumstances. Maybe you're
convinced I'm an habitual liar, but I can't see why you'd ask for my
opinion if that were really the case. So, I'm sorry for not being able
to take you at face value, but I'm afraid can't.

So why then do you want it anyway? No, why do you not merely want it,
why are you so obsessed with obtaining it that you've gone entirely
melodramatic about it?

The only answer that seems plausible to me is so that if it turns out
you've made a bad decision you can say "Well, hey, AJ didn't tell us what
we actually needed to know, so it's his fault". Which seems especially
plausible, given that's exactly what various folks are saying that now;
whether in the form of "I didn't realise it would result in a different
interpretation by anyone" or "I didn't realise AJ wouldn't just ignore
the resolution!". Saying "Well, it's all the fault of AJ's upstairs
neighbours" wouldn't be believable, and some people might think that
maybe you should've thought about it some more and might bear some of
the responsibility for getting the right outcome.

Well, screw you guys: it's your project just as much as mine, you can
damn well take some responsibility for managing it. If you're going to
refuse to do that and let the project get completely screwed up, well,
hey, maybe my RHCE certificate will come in handy afterall.

Cheers,
aj

Don't assume I speak for anyone but myself. GPG signed mail preferred.