Re: Ready to vote on 2004-003?

On Thu, May 20, 2004 at 11:08:25AM +0200, Frank K?ster wrote:
> On the other hand, if it turns out after the vote that you interpret the
> changes, as they have been accepted, in a different way than I (and
> hopefully many others) do it, or as the proposers intended -

So ask the proposers what they intend. Make it clear up front. Have the
discussion of what the appropriate policy is _now_ so that you can point
to that after the fact. Think it through. Talk it through. Figure out
what alternative interpretations are possible. Take on the responsibility
for making sure the GR is right _yourself_ instead of trying to foist
it on to me.

> and I think
> those intentions are quite clear, *then* I would in fact blame you for
> not speaking up before we voted.

Well, that's an idiotic response on your behalf. You've, presumably, got
a brain. Use it. Now. Make sure that there isn't any way to misinterpret
whatever the outcome is. Think of all the possible consequences,
technical, political whatever. Work out what consequences are good,
and which ones should be avoided. Work out the optimal set that's best
for the project, in the short term and the long term. Work out how best
to get there. Think it through, plan it out, make it clear what our
options are, what the consequences are, and if there's no clear best
choice that everyone's willing to accept (ie, there's no consensus),
have a vote about the various options.

But stop looking for a fucking scapegoat for your own incompetence
and laziness.

> If you are confident that this is not the case (and that the intentions
> are in fact clear), please say so,

Work. It. Out. Yourself.

Seriously. It's not that hard. If I can do it, so can you. You've got a
brain. You've got people to discuss the issue with. You've got the tech
ctte to make any official adjudications that are needed (although you
can overrule them with a GR too if you want to).

There are two reasons to require me to do this: because you're all
incompetent at making decisions of this sort, in which case Debian's
best interests would be met by appointing me supreme project dictator
for life, to ensure decisions are being made by the person or people
best able to do so; or because you're too lazy to make a good decision
and you want to blame me when you screw up.

For the purposes of getting a good release out, I'll accept the ultimate
blame for a lot of things, but this is not one of them.

Cheers,
aj

Don't assume I speak for anyone but myself. GPG signed mail preferred.