Anthony Towns dijo [Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 02:56:09PM +1000]:
> The Social Contract now states:
> (...)
> As this is no longer limited to "software", and as this decision was
> made by developers after and during discussion of how we should consider
> non-software content such as documentation and firmware, I don't believe
> I can justify the policy decisions to exempt documentation, firmware,
> or content any longer, as the Social Contract has been amended to cover
> all these areas.
>
> As such, I can see no way to release sarge without having all these
> things removed from the Debian system -- ie main.
> (...)

After the tremendous amount of dust this post has lifted, I think i
have only one complaint: I agree with you, we must remain true to what
ourselves define as our foundation documents. Many of us (I surely
did) could not see this consequence when we voted for the editorial
change. Probably because the vote had a misleading title, probably
because the issues had been previously beaten over and over, and they
were always tagged for 'after Sarge'. We could not imagine this
outcome.

If you had prevented this situation over two days ago, why didn't you
speak before it was too late? Why didn't you bring to our attention
the side effects of our unwise choice helping us correct it instead of
sending it as a punishment for erading and answering too hastily on an
important issue?

I am not a regular IRC follower, I keep up with Debian's news mainly
thanks to this list and to -private. And -once again- I believe there
are many other developers in my situation. I have been also swamped by
my work (and by other personal factors) recently, so I have even
missed many discussions - but I am sure this would have ignited a
thread almost as hot as this one. Not the kind of thing that can be
ignored.

As many people have pointed out already, given the consequences [for
Sarge], I would like to change my vote. Many people didn't vote, and
probably would have were they aware the issues you presented would
delay Sarge probably for another year. Many speak about disrespect for
the people who have worked hard squishing bugs, writing d-i and the
many other tasks needed for having Sarge ready this summer.

There is only one thing I can suggest - once again, nothing new,
nothing that has not yet been said in this discussion, but anyway: We
should release Sarge adhering to the Social Contract as it was until a
couple of days ago, and make this SC valid only from Sarge+1 on.

Greetings,

--
Gunnar Wolf - gwolf@gwolf.cx - (+52-55)5630-9700 ext. 1366
PGP key 1024D/8BB527AF 2001-10-23