On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 11:46:43AM +0200, Martin Schulze wrote:
> Speaking of the GFDL, only those documents released under the GNU FDL
> are non-free that make use of invariant sections for anything else
> than its license, right?

No. There are other issues with the GFDL, of the more common "This
license has a bug" variety that we get with lots of new
licenses. Those apply to every work licensed under it, and also need
to be fixed for the GFDL to be DFSG-free. There's no real reason why
they shouldn't be (resulting in a license that behaves how you
describe), except that RMS decided that he wouldn't discuss the
license with people who don't accept invariant sections as being free,
so getting anything done about the other problems has proven
difficult.

http://people.debian.org/~srivasta/Position_Statement.html provides a
decent summary of the issues.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |