Re: Questions to candidates

* Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> [2004-03-19 18:06]:
> > I certainly hope that people will ask themselves whether I have been
> > productive as DPL.  The following questions you raised are all valid,
> > and they are questions I have constantly asked myself throughout the
> > year in order to measure my performance.
>
> Okay.  What were your answers?

I think I have done a good job, which is why I am running again this
year.

> Style of communication is not a personality trait?

Of course it is, ...

> And if my communication skills have "significantly improved over the
> years", as you "fully acknowledge", how does it stand to reason that my
> personality has not changed?

... I never claimed that personality never changes; of course it does,
it is just much harder to change than many other things.

> Okay.  What I'm getting from this is basically that you were "born to
> lead" -- you've always been a great coordinator, "by nature", and that
> you have *always* been approachable.
>
> That's great -- honestly.  But is it more valuable than being adaptable
> to the needs of the Debian Project?

If you're born to do something, does that necessarily make you less
adaptable?

> If born leaders are more suited to lead Debian than home-grown ones who
> have been forged in the crucible of our social environment, then why do
> we require that the Debian Project Leader even be a Debian Developer in
> the first place[2]?

Because Debian developer does not necessarily imply a technical
function.  You can contribute to the project in other ways, and surely
someone interested in leading and coordinating Debian would
contribute, and then sign up for NM.

> Especially if that leader's most valuable trait is coordination: the
> initiatives are executed by others, while the leader's role is simply in
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> putting the right people together.

Part of coordination is to take initiative.  I don't know why you seem
to see coordination as a passive role.

> What I'm hearing from you is that Debian Project Leadership is not a
> position that is best earned

I don't know where you're hearing this...

> Maybe so.  But I don't believe at present that that's the way the
> Debian Project does work, or should work.  It's not the kind of
> system I think of when I hear the word "meritocracy" -- to me, it's
> more like "aristocracy".

... I had to show my skills, and win a reputation, just like everyone
else in the project.  I successfully did this over the years.  I don't
want people to vote for me because I might be innately a good leader,
but because I have shown over the years that I am good at these tasks.

--
Martin Michlmayr
tbm@cyrius.com