Re: drop or keep non-free - from users viewpoint

On 08 Mar 2004 13:49:57 -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG <tb@becket.net> said:

> Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:
>> On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 11:46:42AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG
>> wrote:

>> > How could the removal of non-free stop you from maintaining the
>> > driver?
>>
>> No more BTS ? no more download area.

> You could still maintain it; since your purpose is to have access to
> the internet through this modem, you would still be able to do that
> whether you were distributing the work to other people or not.

	But then everyone else who is saving their time by using
 Sven's driver would have to duplicate it, and that may be a
 significant amount  of time lost that culd have gone towards
 something more useful (anyone who can generate a new driver
 has a modicum of technical competence). Even worse, someone
 transitioning to Debian, helped by that driver, shall no longer have
 access, and not yet being able to compile their own drivers, leave --
 and we have lost a future contributor.

> And since there are plenty of good free bug-tracking systems out
> there (including the BTS), you will have the option of using those
> if they are important to you.

	Ah. More vapourware solutions. I think that the people using
 non-free software in a mostly free OS, who may be trying to
 transition fully to a free system, would find their task of moving
 to  a  free operating system significantly hindered.

	manoj
--
There's a little picture of ED MCMAHON doing BAD THINGS to JOAN RIVERS
in a $200,000 MALIBU BEACH HOUSE!!