Re: drop or keep non-free - from users viewpoint

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 08:22:15 +0100, Martin Schulze <joey@infodrom.org> said:

> Sven Luther wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 11:46:42AM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG
>> wrote:

>> > How could the removal of non-free stop you from maintaining the
>> > driver?
>>
>> No more BTS ? no more download area.

> Why shouldn't there be a bugs.nonfree.org?  Cloning the Debian BTS

	All things are possible. Hey, maybe Mr Gates shal embrace the
 GPL!!  But, while it remains in the realm of the hypothetical, mere
 speculation of a golden future doesn't generally determine my
 actions.

> requires work and copying the non-free bugs over as well, and you'd
> lose the ability to reassign bugs from and to free packages to and
> from non-free packages but since the archives would be separated
> anyway, I don't consider this as a big problem.

	But, I suspect, you  are not planning on doing this work, so
 whether you feel it is a big problem or not does not help in bringing
 the hypothetical to fruition.

> The download area would probably be ftp.nonfree.org, I guess.  I
> don't think that you as developer would lose access to it and I also
> don't believe that users would lose the ability to download non-free
> packages.  There may be a problem during the transition, of course.

	And where would the box and bandwidth dome from? Oh, I see,
 since it is all hypothetical vapourware, details like that don't
 matter.

	manoj
--
Your mind is the part of you that says, "Why'n'tcha eat that piece of
cake?" ... and then, twenty minutes later, says, "Y'know, if I were