Re: "keep non-free" proposal

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 08:41:39PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> writes:
> > Read the message you're replying to, where I answered that exact question:
> Sorry, but I was looking for more detail.  How will we decide whether
> a package is "really important to some users"?  Who will determine if
> this or that package is "pointless"?  My question, the one that earned
> this snide reply from you, asked for an objective test, and I found
> "really important" and "pointless" to be subjective tests.  A suitable
> proxy for an objective test might be to have a procedure in place for
> deciding whether something is pointless or really important.

We'll be better able to produce such procedures when we actually know
what the circumstances are when non-free software becomes rare and
unusual in the world. We're so far off that now, anyone who claims to
be able to predict what circumstances are likely to bring that about is
kidding themselves.

Cheers,
aj

             Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we could.