Re: "keep non-free" proposal

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 12:16:08PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> I didn't say that, but apparently the thread has been lost.

Well, yes, of course the thread's been lost -- you just trimmed it
all away.

Read through the above with an open mind -- ie, don't assume that everyone
thinks the way you expect them to. "Sven implied that there is a time
for removing non-free, but this isn't it". "We change when everyone's
writing free software". "But that's no change. That's the current system".

There _is_ a change: one day we're distributing non-free, the next,
we're not.  That's the important change. It's not a change of policy,
certainly, it's instead a claim that the *existing* policy does *not*
need to be changed to meet the concern that Debian will always be
distributing non-free software.

> > What he seemed to be saying was that the fact that we distribute non-free
> > software needs to and should change. And it does need to, and it should.
> > But we have a system for dealing with that already.
> Really?  What is it?  What is the system for removing packages from
> non-free?

The maintainer says "this package is no longer needed" or "this packages
has been relicensed under the GPL" or similar, and it gets removed. What
did you think it was?

Cheers,
aj

             Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we could.