Re: "keep non-free" proposal

On Mon, Mar 08, 2004 at 12:56:43PM +0100, Sven Luther wrote:
> Thomas, please tell me, what is the licencing situation of the bios you
> run ? And if your motherboard has some defect, are you able to look at
> the source code for the chipset, and modify it, or possibly make sure
> there is not some unwanted trojan included there ?

Although it's not important I will point out that the chipset isn't
software but rather an ASIC, and modifying it is a bit more involved
than recompiling! It does actually have source code but it's no more
reasonable to demand the source code for your chipset than for your
Pentium 4 or Athlon XP processor. But then you may think it's quite
reasonable to demand the source code for both...

Actually said source code would probably be quite useful from an
educational POV.

Hamish