Re: "keep non-free" proposal

> On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 06:08:33PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> > Sven Luther <sven.luther@wanadoo.fr> writes:
> > > Well, as you all know i have upto now be mostly a proponent of the keep
> > > non-free camp, because, altough i fully would prefer every software in
> > > debian to be free, i feel that this is not really yet the time for it.
> > Ah, so there is a time for it?  Can you please explain what that time
> > will be?  (Either with a date, or a clear list of conditions.)
>
> When no maintainers feel a need to provide and maintain non-free software.
>
> > I hope that the answer isn't "when there is nothing in non-free
> > anyhow".
>
> The problem we're trying to solve is that people require non-free
> software; if you've already given up on ever achieving that, that's a
> bit sad.

You haven't answered my question--not surprising, because I asked
Sven, not you.

Sven implied that there is a time for removing non-free, but that this
isn't it.  You are saying that any time a maintainer wants to put a
non-free package on the Debian server, this should be possible.  You
are proposing no change, ever.  Well and good, but it is
non-responsive to my question, which was asked of Sven who indicated
that there is some time at which it would be the right thing to do.

Note, of course, that Sven thinks that Debian contains non-free
software.  If he still can't get it right, doesn't it mean that this
noise about how "everybody already understands" that non-free isn't in
Debian is just so much smoke?

Thomas