Re: "keep non-free" proposal

On Fri, Mar 05, 2004 at 09:24:02PM -0800, Thomas Bushnell, BSG wrote:
> Sven implied that there is a time for removing non-free, but that this
> isn't it.  You are saying that any time a maintainer wants to put a
> non-free package on the Debian server, this should be possible.  You
> are proposing no change, ever.  Well and good, but it is
> non-responsive to my question, which was asked of Sven who indicated
> that there is some time at which it would be the right thing to do.

He's not proposing no change, ever.  He's proposing no change any
time soon.

In essence, when <<the fraction of computer users who do not use debian
(or any comparable free software platform)>> is a fraction of the total
population of computer users which is comparable to <<the fraction of the
total population of computer users who currently use Debian's platforms>>,
that's [roughly] the time to stop bothering with non-free.  Or, more
properly, that's roughly when Debian's non-free becomes a non-issue.

There's nothing precise about this, it's just an illustration of the
scope of the problem.

--
Raul