Re: "keep non-free" proposal

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 04:30:51PM +0100, Bill Allombert wrote:
> Anthony Towns wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 01:33:37PM -0500, Nathanael Nerode wrote:
> > > Please, get Andrew's editorial-fixes proposal passed already. *sigh* I don't
> > > give a damn about the non-free issue either way, but I *do* care that the
> > > 'main' archive is *actually* free.
> > For someone who's not a developer, nor a n-m applicant, I'm not sure
> > why you think your opinion is an important factor in any decision making.
> I would like to express my disagreement toward attempt to reject input
> from users and contributors[1] on issues that will impact them,

That's nice. Look at it this way: if Nathanael doesn't care enough
about the issue to become a developer so he can have his say, why should
anyone else care about his opinion enough that it should matter one way
or another?

And if his opinion doesn't matter so much to him or to us, then why
should it be raised at all?

Really, it doesn't matter what *anyone*'s opinion per se is: what
matters are their justifications for that opinion, because that's at
least potentially persuasive to others. The only time you should be
stating your opinion as though it has any effect on anyone is when the
secretary sends out a ballot, and then it's only relevant if you're
a developer. At any other time, there's always someone else who cares
about the issue and wants the alternative.

So, having expressed your opinion on this matter, do you care to offer
any reasoning for it, or do you just want to tell me my arguments should
be dismissed, that I'm contemptful, and how I'm breaking the Social
Contract as usual?

> by
> resorting to ad hominem attack and sheer contempts in total disregard
> of our current Social Contract.

Cheers,
aj

             Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we could.