Comparison and rebuttal of Raul Miller/20040119-13 against Andrew Suffield/GR Editorial

I concur with the analysis of the components I have skipped.

In all the cases where Raul has included changes that I have not, I
think that they are either wrong or pointless. All the ones that I
have not covered in this mail fall into the "pointless" category, and
are mostly typographical changes which are not corrections.

I have one or two changes from the original social contract that Raul
does not, and I think they are significant.

I find Raul's proposal to be entirely without merit when compared to
my editorial proposal.

I find Raul's proposal to be entirely unrelated when compared to my
non-free proposal; it contains no changes which are relevant to the
issue of whether or not to keep non-free.

On Thu, Jan 22, 2004 at 12:17:22PM -0500, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
>                          Raul Miller | Andrew Suffield
>    1. Debian will remain 100% free   | 1. Debian will remain 100% free
>       software                       |
>
> Pretty much the same thing. Slight wording difference.

I have systematically eliminated all references to "software", because
some people disagree about what it means. Most of the changes to
clause 1 were to accomodate this.

[Skipping all further coverage of this change]

>                          Raul Miller | Andrew Suffield
> In order to accommodate these users, |                      We have created
> we have created "contrib" and        |  "contrib" and "non-free" areas in
> "non-free" areas in our internet     |  our archive for these works.
> archive.                             |
>
> Raul adds in a transition phrase and the word "internet" (Raul: isn't
> Internet capitalized?). I don't think this is all that different.

I consider Raul's version to be a duplication of the mistake which I
eliminated. I don't know why he changed it from the original "FTP
archive" at all; his version has the same problem as the original (in
that it is a partial description that may cease to be accurate in the
future).

>                          Raul Miller | Andrew Suffield
>           The software in "non-free" |                               The
> satisfies some, but not all, of our  | packages in these areas are not part
> guidelines                           | of the Debian system, although they
>                                      | have been configured for use with
>                                      | Debian.
>
> These are fairly different. Raul does not include the statement that  these
> are not part of Debian. Doesn't leaving that out cause a problem when
> compared to clause 1?
>
> Also, I'm not sure that software in non-free has to satisfy any of the
> guidelines. Certainly not DFSG 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, or 10. I'm not sure
> why they'd have to satisfy 7 or 9, either, provided it is still legal for
> Debian to distribute it. So this may be a material change.

I think Raul's version is completely nuts, for these two reasons.

>                          Raul Miller | Andrew Suffield
>             and we do not guarantee  |         We encourage CD
> all software in the non-free area    | manufacturers to read the licenses
> may be distributed in other ways.    | of the packages in these areas and
>                                      | determine if they can distribute the
>                                      | packages on their CDs.
>
> Raul's wording covers more than CD manufacturers. Raul's wording also
> seems to suggest that we guarantee the distributability of software in
> main.

These aren't the same thing at all.

Raul has removed the original sentence entirely, and added a fairly
useless disclaimer (we've never guaranteed that; why do we need to
make it a part of the social contract that we don't guarantee it?).

The semantic difference is that we no longer encourage CD
manufacturers to include non-free. I can't imagine why a non-free
supporter would want this.

>                          Raul Miller | Andrew Suffield
> For those who need to run software   |                        Thus,
> we do not distribute, free or        | although non-free works are not a
> non-free, we support worthy          | part of Debian, we support their use
> application binary interface         | and provide infrastructure for
> standards and namespace management   | non-free packages (such as our bug
> standards.  Additionally, we will    | tracking system and mailing lists).
> work to find, package and support    |
> free alternatives to non-free        |
> software so people who use only free |
> software can work with users of      |
> non-free software.                   |
>
> Both Raul and Andrew affirm (again) that we support the use of non-free
> works.  Raul additionaly addes in that we will support ABI and namespace
> standards (like the LSB, FHS, etc.) Also, Raul adds in that we will work
> towards  free alternatives.

Raul has added several strong guarantees of effort on the part of
Debian, which do not presently exist. I strongly oppose these. As a
maintainer with no packages in non-free, I refuse to do any of these
things. The constitution (3.1.1) trumps the social contract here, so
these statements are non-operative - they do not describe what
developers do, and they cannot compel developers to do these things.

The current clause 5 of the social contract accurately describes my
position, as somebody who has little or nothing to do with
non-free. Raul's proposed amendment does not. I think that a majority
of the developers will be in a similar position.

We only accepted the LSB on the proviso that it would not interfere
with other packages - that it could be handled entirely by the people
who were interested in supporting LSB applications. I object to any
proposal to expand it beyond this.

 : :' :  http://www.debian.org/ |