Re: thoughts on potential outcomes for non-free ballot

On Sat, Jan 24, 2004 at 11:20:27PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> It seems from recent discussion on this list that it is an incorrect
> one.

Exactly.

> (Please switch off your attribution mangler.)

I'm not sure what you mean.

> > Anyways, I'm dropping this issue, and am working on a redraft
> > of my proposal which doesn't include that phrase.
>
> Thank you! Why?

Because Anthony Towns showed me some examples where it wouldn't make
sense.

> Please will you reintroduce the phrase "The software in these
> directories [contrib and non-free] is not part of the Debian system"?

I'm considering that.  However, I feel that if I do so I should also
include a definition of what "the Debian system" means.

> Please will you agree to propose your changes to sections 1-4 (at
> least) as an amendment to the editorial GR rather than the remove
> non-free GR?

I'm dropping changes to sections 2-4.

However, section 1 explicitly mentions non-free, and some of the ambiguity
in the social contract about non-free is present there.

--
Raul