Re: non-free and users?

On Fri, Jan 23, 2004 at 07:48:09PM +0100, Sergey V. Spiridonov wrote:
> >There is no corresponding "we're too busy" formulation for the question
> >"Would you mind distributing this program on your mirrors, and letting me
> >use your BTS for it?
> So, do you agree with my example? You think it is O.K. to reject request
> to package and distribute non-free Nvidia driver?

It's okay to ignore any request for anything; we're volunteers here,
we'll spend our time on what we want. If someone wants a non-free nvidia
driver badly enough, they're welcome to package it themselves and go
through our n-m process. Once they've done that, and complied with the
appropriate policies, no, it's not okay to reject it.

> > It's very useful for Chinese dissidents, but comes
> >with a license that says it's not allowed to be used by Iraqi dictators
> >to organise their mass graves, so unfortunately it's non-free, and the
> >author has been abducted by separatist guerillas, so can't be contacted
> >to relicense the software."
> >Answering "no, we won't help you" in that case seems like it would
> >"produce evil" by your formulation; and for that reason we should continue
> >to distribute non-free software.

> I ask you to answer, the following questions.

One of the best ways to get people to do what you want them to do,
is to do it yourself first. By, eg, reading the above example, and
understanding that "I'm too busy" is not a valid excuse in any form for
excluding non-free from the archive.

> I think, it is
> important for our discussion, for me, for you, for Debian and the whole
> world.

So, do you teach your grandmother to suck eggs at reunions, or is this a
one-off performance? Are you being deliberately insulting, or are you just
an idiot?

> Please, do not ignore any of them and try to produce complete answers,
> if possible. Thanks.

I'm sorry, I'm simply not willing to do your homework for you.

Cheers,
aj

             Linux.conf.au 2004 -- Because we could.
           http://conf.linux.org.au/ -- Jan 12-17, 2004