Re: non-free and users?

On Sun, Jan 18, 2004 at 11:44:31AM -0500, Anthony DeRobertis wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-01-18 at 05:31, Raul Miller wrote:
>
> > Yes:
> >
> > Dropping non-free would prevent Debian developers from distributing any
> > non-free packages (such as GFDL).
>
> No it wouldn't. Nothing would prevent a developer from joining the
> nonfree.org project, etc.

Apart from the non-existence of the proposed nonfree.org project.

If someone comes forth, and provided a such nonfree.org project with
acceptable infrastructure, then i may consider moving my non-free
package over to it, and the remove non-free from debian problem will
solve itself immediately. The whole remove non-free from debian, but
let's start a nonfree.org project, stinks of pushing volunteers around
and trying to force them to do things you want them to do, and not what
they like to do.

But since that is not the case, let's not speak about an hypothetical
such project, and this whole discussion is more based on the idea of
completely removing non-free as debian packages.

And don't lure yourselves, if non-free is removed from debian, i will
not make additional effort to distribute my non-free package in a
separate way, i will just package it for my own benefit, and redirect
the would be users to either upstream or other distributions with more
open minds.

Friendly,

Sven Luther