Re: GR: Removal of non-free

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 15:01:06 -0500, Branden Robinson <branden@debian.org> said:

> On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 04:31:29PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
>> The best way to get rid of non-free would involve writing free
>> replacements for all software in non-free.  But that's a lot of
>> work, and I am not going to insist on that people write any
>> software.
>>
>> On the other hand, the recent proposals for getting rid of non-free
>> appear to me as "solutions looking for a problem" rather than
>> anything I'd want to see implemented.

> Removing non-free would:

> 1) narrow the focus of our labor
> a) either by explicitly reducing the amount of work that is done to
>       maintain the non-free section; or

	I think if I have to jump through hoops to put my packages out
 there, the anount of labour spent on non-free packages would increase

> b) explicitly acknowledging what is tacitly understood, that the
>       non-free section is already a second-class citizen that enjoys
>       little in the way of QA

	Hmm. I guess I need t start doing more QA and porting work
 for my non-free packages, then.  I fail to see how it expands the
 hours that Debian gets of my time.

> 2) improve our détente with other members of the Free Software
>    community, particularly the Free Software Foundation; and

	And reduce it with people writing GPL code for roguelike
 games, for one. And reduce it with users who need their OS to be more
 than an ideological toy.

> 3) make us more coherent exemplars of a 100% Free operating system

	Oh, I thought we already are :P

> I acknowledge that some people don't feel any of the above goals are
> worth pursuing -- but that doesn't mean that everyone does.

	Just like somepeople couldn't care less about our users -- but
 that doesn't mean that everyone does.

	manoj
--
I would have promised those terrorists a trip to Disneyland if it
would have gotten the hostages released.  I thank God they were