Re: GR: Removal of non-free

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 09:09:04PM +0000, MJ Ray wrote:
> You seemed to claim that supporters of this GR should do so before it
> is passed. If that is incorrect, sorry but then it seems your messages
> confused me.

Here, you are talking about an example I gave, of how the social contract
might be changed to get rid of non-free, in a useful fashion.

That example was indeed a suggestion which would involve people
creating some infrastructure for non-free.  And, it was a part of a
larger question (which, in essence, is: what are we doing to the users
who currently depend on this software).  But it's certainly not part of
our current project.

The best way to get rid of non-free would involve writing free
replacements for all software in non-free.  But that's a lot of work,
and I am not going to insist on that people write any software.

On the other hand, the recent proposals for getting rid of non-free
appear to me as "solutions looking for a problem" rather than anything
I'd want to see implemented.

And it probably is the case that getting anything useful done would
require some real effort.

--
Raul