Re: GR: Removal of non-free

On Fri, Jan 02, 2004 at 04:31:29PM -0500, Raul Miller wrote:
> The best way to get rid of non-free would involve writing free
> replacements for all software in non-free.  But that's a lot of work,
> and I am not going to insist on that people write any software.
>
> On the other hand, the recent proposals for getting rid of non-free
> appear to me as "solutions looking for a problem" rather than anything
> I'd want to see implemented.

Removing non-free would:

1) narrow the focus of our labor
   a) either by explicitly reducing the amount of work that is done to
      maintain the non-free section; or
   b) explicitly acknowledging what is tacitly understood, that the
      non-free section is already a second-class citizen that enjoys
      little in the way of QA
2) improve our détente with other members of the Free Software
   community, particularly the Free Software Foundation; and
3) make us more coherent exemplars of a 100% Free operating system

(Whether people are likely to agree with 1a or 1b depends on how well
they think the non-free section is maintained and kept up at present.)

I acknowledge that some people don't feel any of the above goals are
worth pursuing -- but that doesn't mean that everyone does.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |
Debian GNU/Linux                   |           If existence exists,