Re: GR: Removal of non-free

On Thu, 8 Jan 2004 14:32:42 -0600, John Goerzen <jgoerzen@complete.org> said:

> On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 11:31:13PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> Hey, if a DFSG free equivalent of tome is available, I'll
>> migrate. (Branden: saying that nethack exists, and is a replacement
>> for tome is like saying that gopher was an adequate alternative for
>> http).

> Ahh, you should know better than to spit upon Gopher :-)

> Gopher software distribution for UNIX Copyright (C) 1991-2000
> University of Minnesota Copyright (C) 2000-2002 John Goerzen and the
> gopher developers

> Seriously, you will likely find people that make a serious argument
> that Gopher was, and even is, an adequate alternative for HTTP (for
> at least some purposes).  And, I wouldn't be devoting my time to
> maintaining Gopher and PyGopherd if I didn't believe that was, at
> least sometimes, the case.

	You make my point well. Personally, even though I maintained
 Gopher pages for my department for a couple of years back then, I
 have no use for them now -- but I acknowledge that you, and te users
 of your packages, derive value from that protocol.

	manoj
--
"Life begins when you can spend your spare time programming instead of
watching television." Cal Keegan