Re: GR: Removal of non-free

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 10:14:54 +0000, MJ Ray <mjr@dsl.pipex.com> said:

> On 2004-01-03 02:16:15 +0000 Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au>
> wrote:

>> Both of those are bad for Debian -- reimplementing infrastructure
>> sucks up time and energy of maintainers on work that doesn't
>> benefit free software;

> Support for non-free already does this, although we disagree about
> how much.

	Frankly, if I am scramblig for resources to be able to provide
 toe and angband to my users (one of whom is my wife), I'll have even
 less time for policy and devotee and anything else I may do for
 Debian in the future.

	One sideed example? Sure. But  it represents a possibility you
 seem not to have considered, or, in my opinion, dismissed too casually.

>> and reducing the available support for our users who need non-free
>> software makes their lives more painful, or encourages them to
>> switch to a different distribution.

> Or it may encourage them to move to free software, making their
> lives easier, especially if we provide good migration help as
> suggested by some current non-free users.

	Hey, if a DFSG free equivalent of tome is available, I'll
 migrate. (Branden: saying that nethack exists, and is a replacement
 for tome is like saying that gopher was an adequate alternative for
 http).

	manoj

--
Never ask two questions in a business letter.  The reply will discuss
the one you are least interested, and say nothing about the other.