Re: GR: Removal of non-free

On Sat, Jan 03, 2004 at 11:31:13PM -0600, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
> 	Hey, if a DFSG free equivalent of tome is available, I'll
>  migrate. (Branden: saying that nethack exists, and is a replacement
>  for tome is like saying that gopher was an adequate alternative for
>  http).

Ahh, you should know better than to spit upon Gopher :-)

Gopher software distribution for UNIX
Copyright (C) 1991-2000  University of Minnesota
Copyright (C) 2000-2002  John Goerzen and the gopher developers

Seriously, you will likely find people that make a serious argument that
Gopher was, and even is, an adequate alternative for HTTP (for at least
some purposes).  And, I wouldn't be devoting my time to maintaining
Gopher and PyGopherd if I didn't believe that was, at least sometimes,
the case.

-- John