Re: Another Non-Free Proposal

On Mon, Jan 05, 2004 at 09:11:30AM +1000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> But that's not true. The practical consequences are many: Debian ceases
> supporting every non-free package, non-free maintainers have to setup their
> own archives, contrib becomes at best much harder to support well and at
> worst unsupported.

It would affect my contrib package (xtrs) not a whit.

At the same time, I have no problem maintaining xtrs outside of the
Debian Project if that is the will of the developers.

> Consider that many people outside the project consider non-free software
> to be important,

The goal of the Debian project is not to do everything that is
important.

The goals of the Debian Project are "Debian Will Remain 100% Free
Software", "We Will Give Back to the Free Software Community", "Our
Priorities are Our Users and Free Software", and "Programs That Don't
Meet Our Free-Software Standards".  Well, not all of those are stated as
goals, and the last one isn't even a sentence -- which should tell us
something, but apparently doesn't.

> and that Debian's balanced stance on the matter -- make
> the distinction clear, but don't be otherwise prejudiced about them --

Of course we're "prejudiced" about them.  We uphold and promote Free
Software, and made a contract with the Free Software community.  We made
no contract with the "Non-Free Software Community", if such a thing even
exists.

We value Free Software more highly than the alternative, and we always
have -- and not just because it's easier to work with.

--
G. Branden Robinson                |    It's like I have a shotgun in my
Debian GNU/Linux                   |    mouth, I've got my finger on the