Re: The "Free" vs. "Non-Free" issue

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 03:48:39PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:
> Can I ask what useful things you do for the Project, apart from serving

Yeah, but I've been largely offline for most of the past two years,
so most of what I did was pretty ancient.

Let's see... I documented dpkg-deb (and the file format), and helped
design the semantics for dpkg.  I've supported a variety of small packages
over the years, though nothing the size and complexity of X.  I was for
most of several years the gadfly advocating that KDE be relicensed under
the GPL.

But, you're right, I've not done much recently, because I didn't a debian
machine I trusted to do package signing (and generally I've been relying
on borrowed machines until last month).

> In other words, I am trying to determine the labors upon which you
> legitimize your self-appointed role as a moral voice for the Project
> while still being too busy to put forth the sort of concrete proposals
> you criticize others for not producing.

I've got package changes I'd upload right now, if I could authenticate
with db.debian.org.  I can't, however, because I have an old pgp key,
and apparently the infrastructure still hasn't recovered from the recent
security outage to tell me my new password.

> Frankly, I'm stumped as to how you have time to contribute to mailing
> list discussions, usually to strenously advocate *not* doing something
> (like clear a GR that has been stalled for over 3 years[7], as the

A lot of that is because I'm rather limited in what else I can do.

--
Raul